With Halloween just around the corner, companies like Arrow Video and Scream Factory are preparing to roll out some major horror titles on Blu-ray. Horror fans definitely have a lot to look forward to, but with so many big titles coming out in such rapid succession, we're tasked (either by money, space, better judgement) to be selective, bringing home only the releases we just can't live without. Here are my top 5 must-own upcoming Blu-ray releases....
1. Scream Factory's Collector's Edition of John Carpenter's sci-fi/horror masterpiece, The Thing. This 2-disc edition sports a plethora of new and old extras, including a new 2K transfer approved by director of photography Dean Cundey. The Thing has a release date scheduled for October 11th. You can pre-order the Blu-ray by clicking here.
2. Scream Factory's Collector's Edition release of William Peter Blatty's The Exorcist III. While there hasn't been any official word regarding the extras just yet, the unofficial word is this release will deliver Blatty's director's cut, making it a must-own in my book. The Exorcist III is scheduled for release on October 25th. You can pre-order the Blu-ray by clicking here.
3. Arrow's limited edition Blu-ray release of Wes Craven's The Hills Have Eyes features a brand new 4K transfer, along with a slew of extras and plenty of (limited edition exclusive) accouterments like a poster, post cards and a collector's booklet. You can bring The Hills Have Eyes home on September 27th. Pre-order the Blu-ray by clicking here. Check out my review of The Hills Have Eyes here.
4. Slugs (Arrow Video) oozes onto Blu-ray on September 27th. Slugs is sleazy, slimy fun, featuring a brand new restoration of the film and some nice extras, including interviews, commentary and a collector's booklet. Slugs is one of my personal favorite "so bad, it's good" movies, directed by Juan Piquer Simon (Pieces). Pre-order Slugs on Blu-ray by clicking here.
Check out my review of Slugs here.
5. Lions Gate is reviving the classic Vestron Video label to deliver horror fans Jim Wynorski's sci-fi slasher hybrid, Chopping Mall. The Blu-ray offers a glut of extras, including three commentaries, multiple featurettes, interviews and more. It's the most pricey release on this list, but...it's Chopping Mall and it's loaded! Chopping Mall is scheduled for release on September 27th. You can pre-order the Blu-ray by clicking here.
Sound off in the comments section below. What Blu-ray releases are you looking forward to most this Halloween season?
(Get $3 off Loot Crate and help support my website.)